Sunday, May 25, 2008

Something about summer


For the second summer in a row, I've taken a liking to crossword puzzles. Last year, I bought a book of the NY Times' best crossword puzzles, which contains hundreds of puzzles, and spent a bit of time nearly every day, especially prior to the birth of our second daughter. Once she was born, all free time vanished, but I still spent a bit of time trying to finish some puzzles. But, over the course of the year, I stopped doing them. But once again, the book called, and I have picked it up again. I am not particularly good at these puzzles, but they are fun. I remember my grandma (who we called Gramma) would always do the Chicago Trib's crossword puzzle; it would always be on the kitchen table, taken out of the Temp section. She had crossword puzzle dictionaries, and would take on any puzzle. With no kids on the way this summer, I think I'll make better progress at the crossword puzzle book, and spend some time thinking fondly of Gramma and her crossword puzzles.

Along the same note, there is a great documentary about people who compete in national crossword puzzle tournaments, called Word Play.

No comments: