Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Getting Things Done


A few of the blogs I read, regularly, such as Lifehacker and Lifehack, often mention this guy by the name of David Allen, and one of his books, Getting Things Done. After having read about this guy and what this book of his is about, I became curious and while I was out this morning, I picked up a copy. After having read a few pages, I am intrigued about how I can better utilize my own time, prioritize my tasks, and get more productivity out of myself each day.

Wikipedia explains the principles behind Allen's work as this:

Getting Things Done (commonly abbreviated as GTD) is an action management method of The David Allen Company, and the title of the book by David Allen which describes the method. Both Getting Things Done and GTD are registered trademarks of the David Allen Company.

GTD rests on the principle that a person needs to move tasks out of the mind by recording them somewhere. That way, the mind is freed from the job of remembering everything that needs to be done, and can concentrate on actually performing those tasks. What distinguishes GTD from other time- or action-management systems is the idea of grouping tasks by the context (defined as a place or set of available resources) in which they are to be performed.


No comments: