Monday, September 17, 2007

The lifespan of a blog and more


I don't know if there's any connection here, but I found it curious that the average blogger keeps his/her blog alive and updated for about three months (see here).

"Right now blogs double in number every six months, according to Technorati, a blog search engine. As of October 2006, there were 56 million blogs on the Web. Despite their strong numbers, the average life span of a blog is merely three months and shrinking daily, according to Gartner."

This ties in with what I wrote about yesterday: finding time to blog. I wonder if others have this problem and just throw in the towel. Or, perhaps, the larger issue is running out of material to blog about. I know that ever since I began this blog (way back in July) I go through my days considering what to blog about. And, yes, I read other blogs, and from time to time will write about what I read on them (which is also how I came across the three-month lifespan factoid, on Michael Leddy's Orange Crate Art), but I try to keep an eye out for interesting aspects of the day or things that occur. Prior to blogging, I didn't move through the days in the same way.

1 comment:

John Guzlowski said...

three months?

I have found a lot of abandoned blogs.

I wonder why people give them up.